Medway Fair Trader Scheme
Fair Trader Scheme: information for consumers
The Medway Fair Trader Scheme is a Medway Trading Standards Service
initiative. The aim of the scheme is to improve business standards and
increase customer confidence in member businesses. Approved businesses have
agreed to abide by the terms and conditions of the scheme and have been
checked by Trading Standards to ensure compliance.
Each year Medway Council's Trading Standards Service receives around 5,000
complaints about businesses in Medway. A significant number of these are
associated with home improvements. This scheme is a positive move to improve
the way in which traders deal with consumers. There is no place in it for
rogue traders who do not care for customer satisfaction or compliance with
Benefits for consumers
- Consumers can check with Trading Standards to see which
businesses are members of the scheme before purchasing goods
- The scheme is voluntary. By joining the scheme,
businesses are demonstrating a commitment to customer care
and fair trading.
- Trading Standards will continue to work closely with
scheme members and will carry out monitoring exercises to
ensure high standards are maintained.
Medway Fair Trader Scheme members provide the following assurances:
- They comply with the law.
- Contract terms are fair, in plain English and clearly
- Pricing is clear and information about payment methods
- No repair or servicing work will be carried out without
the customer's permission.
- Parts replaced during repair or servicing are made
available for inspection.
- Itemised invoices are provided.
- The business operates an effective customer complaints
Approval of a business does not mean that the Trading Standards Service:
- can guarantee its financial stability;
- has individually checked the quality of any goods or
- gives any guarantee or warranty as to the value for
money of goods or services compared with a competitor or
that they will be satisfactory.
How to find out whether a business is a member of the scheme
Look for the distinctive Medway Fair Trader Scheme logo on business
premises, documentation and advertisements.
Trading Standards has an up-to-date list of members. You can also search
database of businesses already on the scheme.
Medway Council, Trading Standards Team,
Gun Wharf, Dock Road, Chatham, Kent, ME4 4TR
Telephone: 01634 333555 Fax: 01634 332006
Electronic Mail: email@example.com
Copyright © Medway 20